Sunday, May 12, 2013

Camera Work: Street Work by Dana Geisler [photographer Rolfe Ross]



Street Work
Photographs by Rolfe Ross
May 3, 2013 to June 3, 2013
Opening Reception May 3, 2013 6 to 8:20 pm



 
a fine photography gallery at the Laundry in Scranton PA

ARTIST STATEMENT
Street work has a long history associated with photography, probably as long as photography itself has been going on.
I have been interested in street photography for many years, mainly because, as a project, it’s something you can do anytime, anywhere and you can start and stop at anytime and pick up again whenever you want. You just need to have your camera with you as you walk around…and keep your eyes open for the right opportunity.
As I go about my daily activities, I am constantly looking for two things, one is the light…or the shadows and the other is what’s happening or about to happen in front of me. These are the things that good street photographs are made of. The best street photographs have elements of both of these things in them…interesting light and activity.

A word about titles…since I don’t like the use of “untitled” I generally use the location where the picture was made…to do otherwise is, in my mind, a blatant effort on the part of the photographer to influence the viewer, something the image itself should do, not the title.
Rolfe Ross
May 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment